In New York you have the absolute right to select the collision repair shop of your choice. No insurance company, independent agent, representative, appraiser , adjuster or staff member of an insurance company can legally force you to or away from any specific repair shop, require that repairs be made by a specific repair shop or individual. Nor can they require you to have your vehicle inspected at their drive-in claims center. If you request it, your insurer must inspect the damage to your vehicle at your chosen location or collision repair shop. (Regulation 64)
- You have the right to have your vehicle towed to any location that you choose.
- You must notify your insurance company before repairs begin.
- You do not have to go to a drive-in claims center. Your insurer must inspect the vehicle at any location you choose, within 6 working days.
- You do not need to get two or three appraisals.
- Your insurance company is responsible for payment to restore your vehicle to pre-accident condition.
- Your insurer must negotiate in good faith with the shop of your choice.
- The registered repair shop you choose should provide an estimate of damage and assist you with the processing of your claim to ensure safe and proper repairs are made to your vehicle.
- A repair shop has no right to speak on your behalf without first given Designated Representative Authority by you.